The Bridge Lofts building was originally called the Marcourt when construction completed in 1930, and was home to the first Health Maintenance Organization in the nation. Original storefronts occupied the ground level with the upper floors divided into small treatment rooms. After 1989 the building fell into disrepair. Water intrusion ruined plaster treatments and window assemblies, but the brick skin, the concrete frame and the terrazzo floors remained intact. JA’s design consolidates former exam rooms, creating 14 housing units above the retail floor. While window patterns, proportions, rhythms and colors were chosen to complement the existing building, the skin of the addition represents a departure. Sustainable strategies were integral to the evolution of this project. Special care was taken to ensure that hazardous materials were removed from the job site in a secure fashion for the safety of both the workers and neighborhood.
Bridge Lofts provides an exciting housing alternative for those wanting to be near the theater district and other new Tacoma cultural landmark.
© 2013, Johnston Architects PLLC