The origins of Broadway Market lie in the original form of the Fred Meyer Public Market from 1927. Beginning with the restoration of this historic façade, the design team added an interior atrium in the style of the great European markets. A second floor of commercial space was developed along Broadway. Two stories of underground parking form the foundation for additional retail, 32 condominiums and a four screen cinema (the cinema has since been converted for additional retail space). The 200,000 SF Broadway Market forms an anchor in the revitalization of Capitol Hill’s north end. This project won a Seattle AIA Honor Award.
*Ray Johnston, while partner at Cardwell/Thomas & Associates.
© 2013, Johnston Architects PLLC